Welcoming a new puppy into your home can be a life-altering experience. While it may seem overwhelming, in a matter of time you will both learn to co-exist. Soon your new companion will be a loyal and trusted friend.
Be Prepared! First, anticipate that a puppy will wander and explore, and need frequent attention. Set your puppy, and yourself, up for success!
Puppy-proof your home.
- Secure electric cords and keep them hidden, to avoid unwanted chewing.
- Keep cleaning supplies and medications out of reach or in cabinets. Consider child-proof latches.
- Put away potential choking hazards, such as coins, paper clips, jewelry, and yes, socks!
- Keep doors and windows closed, to avoid escapes or falling out. Raise and secure hanging cords from blinds.
- Remove poisonous house plants.
Develop a daily routine.
- Make time in your day to provide a predictable exercise and sleep routine.
- Schedule in time for exercise and play for health, and to promote more restful sleep.
- Provide appropriate toys for play and teething, which can also prevent unwanted chewing of your household.
- Limit wandering space with gates, or use an ex-pen to prevent mischief or accidents.
We highly recommend using a crate.
- A crate is a safe and cozy spot for your puppy to wind down and sleep.
- Crate training will make housetraining far easier for your pup, and you.
- A crate is the safest spot for your puppy during car trips.
- Feeling comfortable in a crate can be a lifesaver if your puppy should ever require time, or days, at the vet.
Provide a dependable cozy spot for sleep.
- Puppies sleep about 15-20 hours per day (adult dogs sleep 12 or more).
- Find a quiet, warm space, preferably in a confined area.
- Use a washable bed or mat for comfort and convenience.
- We recommend a waterproof liner for all puppies to keep the bed sanitary.
- A blanket is an added comfort for a puppy to dig and fluff when settling down.
We are always happy to answer questions, or to make suggestions for choosing a bed or mat for your special new companion. Call 856-866-6061, email email@example.com or contact us!!